Sunday, April 23, 2023

Post Earth Day notes

 Did I forget to mention that I'm driving this time??  Maybe so, but you've figured that out, of course.  This is a trip that I've been planning for some years now.  It took time to acquire funds, vehicle, camper top, and pull the thing together.  At this point, the blog is just for me.  I have progressed on a loose plan to publish a transcription of my walk notes, whenever I can figure out how to include photos - with captions(!).  The entries from this year will serve as a last chapter, or postscript.  

Wild camping near Moab, UT, and an awe inspiring drive along the Colorado River canyon.  Had another couple of great reunions with friends near SLC and later in Glenwood Canyon.  Made it over the high mountain passes (Vail and Loveland) after a day's pause with the GC couple in their very cool house at a few thousand feet higher up.  Took a break visiting a hot spring spa, which I did again in Idaho Springs on the way down from the mountains.  I must say that the Interstate highway has really taken a beating from a long winter's weather and maintenance that hasn't begun.  Some of those holes were so deep that I felt I might be bounced into the next lane!

Earth Day was yesterday!  I am feeling various regrets about the state of the Earth, and the awareness that this week I'll depart from Ft. Collins, CO and be driving through beef stockyard country, and onward to the agri-business plains of eastern Colorado and points beyond.  Have heard/seen various recent media reports about the connection between animal agriculture and bird flu type viruses.  Also the hope that we might partially mitigate the damage we are causing on the planet by adopting plant-based eating.  Do I see reasons for encouragement??  Sure, there are pockets of awareness everywhere, but there is also so much more humanity, that it feels like a very uphill struggle!  Nevertheless, she persisted...  Maybe I can (cautiously) advance the VHEMT philosophy here and there!  I don't kid myself that this trip is meant to elevate that climate conversation in any way.  It is so far addressing my curiosity, as well as giving me a chance to express gratitude to/for the many generous folks I met last time, and am meeting now for the first time!  


Other photos will have to wait.  But here's 'Bob'!  (Enjoying sunset in one of our wild camping spots.)

No comments:

Post a Comment